A Warm Thai Students Welcome

Thai community in the U.S. is vibrant and diverse. Many people from Thailand have decided to start their life here because this country offers you many possibilities. One of the reasons why we decided to draw this guide is to help you get around when you first land on U.S. ground. So, here are some things you need to do before you ultimately settle here.

Living in the U.S.

Thai StudentsResiding in America can be both exciting and frightening experience. This is a favorite destination for millions of expats, and it attracts students from all over the world. You will find that major financial centers, such as New York, have more expensive living costs, while other cities are much affordable. Again, depending on where you want to move, you can easily find some affordable place because housing prices are generally lower than in many cities in Europe. For example, if you are in need of accommodation, you can find housing online or on Craigslist. You also have other options; you can hire a realtor and let him show you an appropriate accommodation.

Open a bank account

Most people in the U.S. operate on credit cards, so when you settle, it’s time to open a bank account. You should find a bank that is near your place and open a checking account with a debit card. Many facilities in America accept debit and credit cards. Once you get a checking account, you will be able to cover your expenses with checks. Ask from a bank what type of documentation you will need for this process. Most banks will request from you to submit immigration documents and a proof of a physical address, your passport, and social security number if you have one.

Obtain a social security number

Thai Students

Basically, you will need a social security number if you intend to work in the U.S. This number is used to report how much money you are making and to determine if you are eligible for retirement benefits. If you want to open an account or get a driving license, you don’t need this number. When you are applying for the visa, you can easily apply for social security card. If you already arrived in the U.S., you can visit your nearest social security administration office, but wait ten days after you come. In this case, you need to sub proof that you are granted to work in the U.S.